Are Apollo scooters waterproof?Updated a year ago
While Apollo Scooters offers an IP Water Resistance rating for all of our scooters, we do not recommend riding in heavy rain/snow and puddles/deep water. Please be advised that our limited warranty does not cover water damage under any circumstances, so because of this, we recommend riding in dry conditions as much as possible.
The water resistance in our scooters is meant to protect the units from nonideal circumstances that might not always be avoidable (for example: encountering light rain mid-ride or encountering puddles on the trail). This should be treated as an extra safety measure to ensure that your scooter stays operational- it is not a recommendation to ride your unit in conditions that put it at risk of water damage.
To view a scooter's IP Water Resistance Rating, click on the 'Tech Specs' on the product page on our website.
For an explanation of how to understand IP ratings, please read below:
IP rating measures how the level of protection a device has against solids and liquids. The first digit shows how well the device is protected from solids, while the second digit shows the resistance to water.
The first digit ranges from 0-6:
- IP0X: The product is not protected against any physical contact or objects.
- IP1X: Only protected from objects larger than 50 mm. (ex. a hand)
- IP2X: Protected from any object larger than 12.5 mm. (ex. a finger)
- IP3X: Protected from things above 2.5 mm, (ex. a screwdriver or thick wire)
- IP4X: Protected from anything bigger than 1 mm. (ex. wire)
- IP5X: Dust resistant. Some dust may get through, but it won’t be enough to damage the product.
- IP6X: Complete protection against dust.
The second digit ranges from 0-9:
- IPX0: The product offers no special protection from water.
- IPX1: Protected against water that drips vertically onto the product.
- IPX2: Protected from vertical drops of water that hits the product at a 15° angle or less.
- IPX3: Can take water sprays of up to 60° (maximum of 3 minutes).
- IPX4: Is resistant to water splashes from any direction. Limited ingress permitted.
- IPX5: Can resist a sustained, low-pressure water jet spray from all directions.
- IPX6: Can resist high-pressure, heavy sprays of water from all directions with no harmful effects.
- IPX6K: Can resist water jets of extremely high pressure. Rarely used.
- IPX7: Can be submerged up to 1 meter in water for up to 30 minutes.
- IPX8: Can be submerged deeper than 1 meter. The exact depth and time will be determined by the manufacturer.
- IPX9K: Resists high-pressure, high-temperature sprays at close range.
For any additional questions, feel free to reach out to our A-Team at [email protected]